OFFI Foster Care Programs Overview
Traditional Foster Care (Bridge Resource Families)
Traditional Foster Care often referred to as Bridge Resource Families, provides 24-hour-a-day substitute temporary care and supportive services in a home environment for children in DHS custody, from birth to 18 years of age.
Traditional foster homes receive supports including: respite, medical, daycare, training and other resources. Reimbursement rates for foster care are based on a per-day rate, and are subject to change, and vary based on specific child needs.
These rates are paid directly to the family by the Oklahoma Department of Human Services. Beyond the rates above, Oklahoma Families First, Inc. also provides the following bonuses and incentives:
Requirements to Become a Bridge Resource Parent
- Applicants must be at least 21 years of age.
- May be married, single, legally separated, or divorced; if married, must be married one year or more.
- Must be in good physical and mental health to provide for the needs of the child.
- Applicants must have sufficient income to meet current expenses.
- Applicant must be able to provide sufficient beds and bedrooms for additional children.
- Applicants must submit to a search of all OKDHS records, including Child Welfare records.
- Applicants must ensure that no household member has a prior conviction of any sexual offense.
- Applicants must have a working vehicle and a telephone.
- Applicants must attend 27 hrs. of Pre-Service Training.
- Applicant must be a legal resident
- Applicants and each household member, 18 years of age or older, submits fingerprints for a state and national criminal history records search.
Benefits of being a Bridge Family Resource with OFFI
Bridge Resource Families have extremely rewarding opportunities to be there for children and adolescents when a loving and caring family is needed the most. The value of this experience simply cannot be put into dollars and cents. The following areas are some of the ways that the Oklahoma Department of Human Services and OFFI help support your family to help these children.
Assistance provided by the Oklahoma Department of Human Services
- Access to Daycare ( if qualified)
- Medical Assistance (though SoonerCare)
- Mileage reimbursement for travel to visitations or medical appointments
- Other various supports to assist in the needs of the child
A Daily Stipend is also available through OKDHS which is currently:
- 0-5 – 531.6/month or 17.72 per day
- 6-12 – 612.60 per month or 20.42 per day
- 13+ – 678.60 per month or 22.62 per day
OKDHS also has a level of difficulty payment which can increase the above amounts if the child qualifies.
Family and Child Support:
- Access to Respite Care
- 24/7 Crisis Response
- Behavioral Health Counseling or Services
- Foster Parent Records Assistance
In addition to above benefits OFFI also provides the following supports and bonuses to Bridge Resource Families
- Recruitment Bonus – 250.00 to 500.00 when you refer another family to our program and they become a foster parent with our agency*
- File Maintenance Bonus – 1.00 per day for each day that your file is maintained up to date and a child is placed in your home*
- Initial Placement Stipend – 75.00 initial placement when the child in your home is expected to stay 30 days or longer*
- Training Stipend – 25.00 per module when completed online. If all 9 modules are completed online a total of 250.00 may be given*
- Sibling Bonus – when a sibling group of three or more are placed in your home we will pay you an additional 1.00 per day/per sibling
- Teen Bonus – for children 13 and over we will pay an additional 1.00 per day
*conditions apply. Please contact agency for details.
Therapeutic Foster Care
The Therapeutic Foster Care (TFC) program assists school-aged children who have unique life experiences that require enhanced patience, structure and an understanding of each child’s individual needs. Children in this level of care require more specialized therapeutic services to enhance their wellbeing.
TFC families must be open-minded and willing to understand that these children come from hard places with behaviors that are an attempt to meet a need. The TFC program seeks dynamic families who are encouraging, flexible, empowering, committed, and can provide a nurturing family environment.
There are presently six private agencies that work alongside DHS to support the TFC program. This includes efforts to help children heal so they can transition to traditional-level foster care.
Oklahoma Families First, Inc. has been a TFC provider since 1995.
Therapeutic foster families receive a number of additional supports to help children succeed in their home including: arranged respite care, medical insurance for the children, counseling services, access to 24/7 crisis response, trauma-informed training and other supportive resources.
Reimbursement rates for therapeutic foster care at Oklahoma Families First, Inc. are based on a per-day rate of $36 per day for children 12 and under and 38 dollars per day for teens 13 and over with additional financial reimbursements and benefits.
Through the TFC program children and adolescents receive:
- Assessment Services
- Individual and Family Therapy
- Group Skills Development
- Activities Skill Development
- Crisis Support
- Psychiatric Services
- Medical Services covered through Soonercare
The goal of the TFC program is to return the child to a level of functioning which will either allow them to be transitioned into traditional foster care, be prepared for adoption, return to their biological home, or to transition successfully into adulthood.
The basic requirements for becoming a TFC home include the following:
- Parents must be 21 years of age or older
- Single or Married (marriage must be at least one year)
- Successfully complete a thorough background check and home assessment
- One parent must have a minimum of a High School Diploma
- Both parents must attend all training
The benefits of becoming a TFC family include:
- Helping a child and family in need
- Reimbursement of $36.00 to $38.00 per day based on age and intensity of child’s care. (may be tax-free – please consult your accountant for complete details)
- Professional training and support including 24 hour crisis support
- Access to Respite Care
- Recruitment Bonus for helping us find new foster parents
Individuals and families interested in learning more about the TFC program may complete the foster parent application below or call our TOLL FREE NUMBER -1-800-275-6776